It would be a mistake just to give out this amazing recipe without encouraging all food lovers to visit this splendid restaurant. It’s website is www.oldbathhouse.com and tell them “Stockton Bill” sent you!
Located on the Monterey Bay in Central California, about a three hour drive south of San Francisco, you have to put it on your list of palces to go when you next visit. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a ten minute drive to the East, so make it a weekend. Call two weeks in advance for reservations, bring a sweater, and enjoy!
Old Bath House Lobster Bisque
Executive Chef, Boris Ilabaca
2 Cups Ribs Celery, Chopped
2 Cups Onions, Chopped
2 Cups Carrots, Chopped
1 Cups of Fennel, Chopped
2 Sprigs of Tarragon
3 Sprigs of Thyme
10 Black Peppercorns
4 Tblsp. Tomato Paste
½ Tblsp. Paprika
½ Cup Brandy
½ Cup White Wine
¼ Cup Orange Juice
1 Cup of Cream
6 Cups Lobster Stock
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Enough Roux needed to thicken.
1. Saute the Celery, onions, carrots, fennel, thyme, and peppercorns together in 2 Tblsp. of oil until soft.
2. Add the paprika and allow to cook until incorporated.
3. Add the tomato paste and stir in.
4. Add the White Wine and reduce by half.
5. Add the Brandy and reduce by half.
6. Add the Orange Juice and Cream and bring to a simmer.
7. Transfer all ingredients to a large stock pot and add the Lobster Stock.
8. Whisk in enough roux until the bisque reaches the desired thickness.
9. Strain through a fine sieve and serve with crème fraiche.